Charleston Practitioner Throws a Lifeline to Healthcare Professionals with Step-By-Step Guidance to Eliminate Burnout & Protect Your Career
CHARLESTON, S.C. - July 5, 2022 - PRLog -- It was the end of another long 12-hour shift in Urgent Care at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, and Dr. Kimbi Marenakos, Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner and Behavioral Health Specialist, had already seen approximately 90 patients that day. While most were being seen for COVID testing, the last patient of that particular night actually needed her - not in the strictly clinical sense, but in a deeply and beautifully human sense. Having just lost her beloved father, this patient was grieving and heartbroken. She needed a safe place to fall apart, and she needed her doctor's presence and compassion.
Before returning to academia to pursue doctoral healthcare credentials, Dr. Kimbi had been practicing psychotherapy at a Master's level for well over a decade. Recognizing that few patients had the resources to access mental health support, she decided to complete her DNP on the Family track so she could integrate her behavioral health expertise with primary and urgent care. This was precisely the patient she had been preparing to see.
"I was emotionally, physically, and spiritually unavailable. There was nothing left of me to give. I drove home that night in tears feeling terribly ashamed and disappointed in myself…" - KGM
Dr. Kimbi remembers being exhausted in every way, depressed, short-fused, disconnected, and even doubtful of her career choice. It was textbook burnout.
The World Health Organization recognizes Burnout as an occupational phenomenon characterized by three dimensions: Exhaustion, Depersonalization, and Diminished Sense of Accomplishment. While many think that self-care is the solution, plant-based diets and downward dogs are insufficient to address the insidious syndrome that can undermine our self-concept and derail our professional aspirations.
Her recommendations include:
- Re-Align Your Purpose: (Antidote to Depersonalization) Purpose is our driving force. Values provide the guiding principles for our day-to-day progress toward that goal - the turn-by-turn instructions on how to get there. Over time, our values can change, requiring us to re-route. As we get deeper into our careers and work becomes second nature to us, we take for granted that our values have remained static. It's vital we stay clear and current on what matters most to us, so we can maintain purpose and value alignment.
- Restore Your Passion: (Antidote to Exhaustion) We are creatures of habit, often operating our lives on autopilot. When behavior is in alignment with our values and our purpose, it engages our passion that will, in turn, release energy. When behavior is misaligned, it will deplete energy. Becoming intentional about our routines and incorporating more of the behavior that energizes us will restore our passion and insulate us from physical, emotional, and spiritual exhaustion.
- Reclaim Your Power: (Antidote to Diminished Sense of Accomplishment) As the depersonalization and exhaustion of burnout set in, we can become less productive and more distracted. We are simply not doing our best work, and that starts to undermine our sense of confidence and competence. One exercise that can be very helpful is to draft a job description for your own position including the knowledge, skills, abilities, training, education, and experience that you bring to the table. Reflecting on your professional journey and all of your achievements reminds you of who you are!
- Reinforce Boundaries: (Insulation) Healthy boundaries are the best way to insulate yourself from burnout. Boundaries are the ground rules for what others can and cannot ask of us, and how they can and cannot interact with us. Healthy boundaries ensure that we are honoring and upholding our values. Once you're clear on your current values, you can implement a Values Filter for decision making to ensure optimal results.
- Rebrand - You 2.0! Having realigned your purpose, restored your passion, reclaimed your power, and reinforced your boundaries, you have an opportunity and the tools to experience your career in an entirely different way. This is your rebranding. The work may not have changed, but you have.
Dr. Kimbi has now taken her one-of-a-kind system and created an online course called Burnout Breakthrough. It can be accessed on the web (burnout.passion.io) or through the Burnout Breakthrough companion app that is available in both the Google Play and Apple App stores.
About Dr. Kimbi Marenakos
Kimbi Marenakos is a speaker, doctorally trained FNP, Behavioral Health Specialist, and Burnout expert with almost twenty years of success in healthcare, practice consulting, education, and nonprofits. Her renowned online course, Burnout Breakthrough, helps purpose-driven professionals around the world, to realign with their purpose and follow their vision to create the careers- and the lives- they're meant to have.
Photos: (Click photo to enlarge)
Read Full Story - Dr. Kimbi Marenakos Launches New App, "Burnout Breakthrough" to Defeat the Burnout Epidemic | More news from this source
Press release distribution by PRLog